Managing Hidden Tasks and Milestones Using "Where's My Stuff?!" for Version 6.1
About Where's My Stuff?!
1) Where’s My Stuff?! is a OnePager feature that helps you locate tasks and milestones that cannot be easily seen.
2) Additionally, the feature helps you understand why tasks/milestones are not appearing and provides you a means to repair the project view so that tasks/milestones are again visible.
3) When you are trying to locate a task/milestone and do not wish to cause all hidden tasks/milestones, rows, and swimlanes to be made visible, go the OnePager Home tab and click on the Show/Hide dropdown as shown below:
4) Clicking the Where’s My Stuff?! command accesses the Where’s My Stuff?! form shown below. This form provides you with the name of each task/milestone that is not showing and a check (X) in the column(s) appropriate for why the task/milestone is not visible:
Why a Task/Milestone is not Visible
- a) The grid above shows a red X in the column representing the reason that the task/milestone, designated in the row of the Task name column, is not visible.
- b) There are nine (9) reasons that a task/milestone, row, or swimlane can not immediately be visible in the graph:
- (1) Hidden Tasks/Milestones. The task/milestone is hidden (e.g., manually hidden, incorporated into a Virtual Summary Task (VST), or absorbed into another task).
- (2) De-Flagged Tasks/Milestones. The task/milestone was not flagged (e.g., Flag20 for Microsoft Project) by you for import from Microsoft Project or Microsoft Excel for the specific snapshot being viewed, but it was flagged and imported in other snapshots.
- (3) Date out of Range. The dates on the task/milestone (Start and/or Finish) are out of range relative to the date range established for the project view.
- (4) Hidden Row. The row containing the task/milestone is hidden, either directly, or because the parent swimlane is hidden.
- (5) Buried Item. The task/milestone is buried (i.e., z-ordering level on the screen) beneath one or more other tasks/milestones.
- (6) Absorbed Item. The task/milestone is not visible because it is absorbed into another task.
- (7) Virtual Summary Task. The tasks/milestones are hidden because they are now part of a VST.
- (8) Item needs repair. The graphical properties of the task or milestone are missing at the current snapshot.
- (9) Hidden timespan. The task/milestones are hidden because there are hidden Time Axis Level Cells or curtains called timespans that are hidden.
5) If you need additional explanation on what the different reasons mean, you can click the Help Me button. This popups the form below which gives a detailed explanation for each reason:
Using the Fix Selected Button
1) Using the information (X’s in rows) in the Where’s My Stuff?! form, you first know why the various items (rows, tasks, milestones, or swimlane) are not showing. You have two options:
- (1) You can go back to the project view and make the changes you desire manually.
- (2) Or, you have the option to let OnePager make the fixes for you using the Fix Selected button.
2) The process for having OnePager perform the fix is as follows:
- a) In the Where's My Stuff?! form, check the checkbox (on the left of each row) for each hidden item that you want OnePager to fix.
- b) You have the option also to select all rows in the Where’s My Stuff?! form by clicking the Select all button or you can click the Clear selections button to unselect all previously selected actions.
- c) When your selections are complete, click the Fix Selected button and OnePager makes the selected items visible.
- d) Additionally, OnePager provides a list of the actions taken in the INFORMATION AREA of the Where’s My Stuff?! form as shown above.
3) As an example, suppose we select the top four rows in the Where's My Stuff?! form to be fixed as shown below:
- a) When the Fix Selected button is clicked, the Where’s My Stuff?! form responds as shown below:
- b) Upon performing the fix action described above, the project view is updated to reflect the changes made.
- c) The changes made by clicking the Fix Selected button as described above are subject to the Undo/Redo functions using the available active buttons on the OnePager tool bar.
Managing the “Where’s My Stuff?!” form’s columns
1) For your convenience in using the Where’s My Stuff?! form we’ve added three features to help you manage the columns within the Where’s My Stuff?! form:
- a) The columns in the form can be rearranged left to right by left clicking the column header and dragging it to the left or right This feature is quite convenient for grouping form columns together for the purpose of identifying and fixing issues. The column positions after dragging and dropping are not permanent.
- b) Below is a sequence of illustrations showing first the original arrangement of columns and second the column positions after the Hidden row column is moved all the way to the left:
Where’s My Stuff?! Column Sorting
- c) To sort the tasks on the values in any column, left click the column's header. For example, if the ID column were selected, all the rows are sorted in numerical order from lowest to highest. In a similar way, sorting the Task name column causes the rows to be sorted such that they are arranged in alphabetical order (A-Z) based on the content of the Task name column.
- d) The following example is a sort the Task name column showing the before and after illustrations:
- e) Selecting any of the column headers with X's using the cursor and left-clicking in the column's header groups the X's at either the top or the bottom of the grid and rearranges the data in the associated row accordingly.
Where’s My Stuff?! Frozen Columns
2) The Select, ID and Task name columns are frozen so that it does not scroll out of view scrolling left or right via the horizontal scroll bar.
Modifying the Time Axis (Portal)
Showing and Hiding Time Axis Levels and Cells for OnePager Pro
Showing and Hiding Time Axis Levels and Cells for OnePager Express
Using the Where Are My Links? Form for OnePager Pro
Using the Where Are My Links? Form for OnePager Express