Using Fiscal Years and Weeks for OnePager Express for Version 6.1
- 1 Overview
- 2 Fiscal Year Configuration of Time Axis Levels
- 3 Fiscal Year Configuration in the Project View
- 3.1 About Fiscal Years and Weeks
- 3.2 Using Fiscal Years
- 3.3 Using Fiscal Weeks
- 3.4 Defining the First Week in a Fiscal Year
- 4 Related Links
Template and Project-View Properties Form Time Axis Tabs
1) One Pager Pro has always supported date labeling in both calendar year and fiscal year formats.
2) Fiscal year formats are available for date labeling in each of the three Time Axis Levels and their Cells.
3) In OnePager Express 6.1 the controls for the Time Axis are reorganized to consolidate them in their own Template form and Project-View Properties (PVP) form tabs.
4) Although consolidated, there are two sub-tabs in the Time Axis tab for both the Template and PVP forms that have settings related to Fiscal Year appearance in Time Axis Levels.
- a) The Calendar sub-tab’s Calendar Settings group has two controls related to Fiscal year as shown below:
- i) Use the First month of fiscal year to set the beginning month of your fiscal year period using the 12 month dropdown shown above.
- ii) Checking the Use starting year for FY numbering checkbox establishes the ending year number as the name of the fiscal year shown in Time Axis Level Cells. Leaving this checkbox unchecked specifies that the starting year number is to be used as the name of the fiscal year shown in Time Axis Level Cells.
- b) The Top, Middle, and Bottom sub-tabs in the Time Axis tab also have two controls related to setting Fiscal year date formats as shown here for the Middle sub-tab:
- c) The two controls shown above are in each of the three Time Axis Level sub-tabs. When the Use fiscal year checkbox is checked, the adjacent Label format list contains fiscal year date formats you can select to populate that Time Axis Level’s Cells.
Task and Milestone Fiscal Year Date Decorations
5) Additionally, you have the option to show fiscal year date labels on tasks and milestones when you select to include dates as part of task/milestone decorations such as Date labels, Baselines, Deadlines, and Endpoints (4 in total).
6) The Template and PVP form both have Task Bars and Milestones tabs each with a Task Bars or Milestone Symbols Decorations control group as shown below for the PVP form’s Task Bars tab:
- a) The Milestone tab differs from the Task Bars tab in that the Milestone tab does not have a Critical Path Properties or Endpoint Properties set of controls in its Milestone Symbols Decorations control group.
- b) Within the four sets of controls shown highlighted above are checkboxes for turning the feature ON and OFF and buttons for accessing their respective Set … properties forms which contain the controls for setting fiscal year date formats for the specific task/milestone decoration.
- c) The operation of fiscal year date format controls are discussed in this section: About Fiscal Years and Weeks.
7) For more information on the controls in the Template and PVP form’s Task Bars and Milestones tab, please see the articles in the list below:
|Task Bars Tab for OnePager Express||Milestones Tab for OnePager Express|
Fiscal Year Configuration of Time Axis Levels
1) As mentioned above, the controls for globally editing the fiscal year date format configuration of the three OnePager Express 6.1 Time Axis Levels are in the Template form and PVP form Time Axis tab’s Calendar sub-tab and the three Level sub-tabs (Top, Middle, and Bottom). The PVP form for these tabs and sub-tabs is shown above.
2) There are two steps required to change the default calendar year date format settings in the three Time Axis Levels to fiscal year date formats.
- a) First, select the First month of the fiscal year using the dropdown selection control in the Calendar Settings sub-group of the Calendar sub-tab of the Time Axis tab and decide if the fiscal year date format for the year should name the starting year or ending year in the appropriate Time Axis Level Cell’s date format:
- b) The second step is to go to the first Time Axis Level and set the Use fiscal year checkbox to ON and select the desired fiscal year date format from the Label format dropdown:
- c) Repeat the above step for the Middle Time Axis Level and Bottom Time Axis Level where appropriate and the resulting Time Axis in the project view reflects the fiscal year date format settings as shown in the example below:
3) For comparative purposes, if you go back to the Calendar sub-tab and check the Use starting year for fiscal year numbering checkbox to ON, the Top Time Axis Level date label changes to that shown below:
- a) In the above illustration the Top Time Axis Level’s date format shows the starting year for the year date format.
- b) The Middle and Bottom Time Axis Level date formats are unchanged and the Use fiscal year checkbox in each of these two Time Axis Levels remains checked ON.
4) If we revert the year numbering of the Top Time Axis Level to ending year and go to the Middle Time Axis Level and uncheck the Use fiscal year checkbox to OFF, the Time Axis looks like this as annotated below:
5) Although there are no OnePager Express 6.1 provided Fiscal Year date format types for Months, Weeks, etc., you have the capability to create your own using the Custom Date Format feature.
- a) Below is an illustration shown where you can access the Custom Date Format feature from the PVP form:
- b) For more information on the Custom Date Format feature, please see the article at: The Custom Date Format Feature for OnePager Express.
Fiscal Year Configuration in the Project View
1) The previous section above described the configuration of fiscal year date formats for Time Axis Levels. This section covers the configuration of date formats in the project view (graph) where it is desired to represent fiscal years versus calendar years in dates associated with decorations on tasks and milestones.
2) Date labels are represented in a standard way for any task/milestone or decoration that have a date association in the project view. These include:
- Tasks/Milestones start and finish dates
- Baseline start and finish dates
- Deadline date
- Endpoint (4 in total) date
3) For all but Time Axis Levels, you have the capability to specify the position of dates with respect to the task, milestone, or decoration and their date font properties.
4) Tasks/milestones and their associated decorations (baselines, deadlines, and endpoints) have their date label characteristics specified globally following the steps outlined below:
- a) Access the Project-View Properties (PVP) clicking the button on the OnePager Express 6.1 Home ribbon.
- b) This accesses the PVP form where you can select either the Task bars tab or the Milestones tab to gain access to the appropriate decorations group of the form as shown below:
- c) When any decoration checkbox is checked, the associated Properties buttons to the right is enabled so you can access the respective Set … properties forms as with the example for Date Label properties below:
- d) The form above shows typical date control groups for a typical Set … properties form. Choosing to show the dates, the positioning of dates, the selection of the date format, and date font properties are standard throughout OnePager Express.
- e) Each of the four (4) Set … properties forms for Task Bars and three (3) for Milestones has a Use fiscal year checkbox and an augmented list with fiscal year date formats when the Use fiscal year checkbox is checked ON.
5) For more information on the contents and use of controls in the four Set … properties forms, please use these reference links: Task Bars Tab for OnePager Express – Gantt Bar Decorations and Milestones Tab for OnePager Express - Milestone Symbol Decorations
About Fiscal Years and Weeks
6) Although fiscal year date formats in Time Axis Levels are separate for control purposes from the controls over fiscal year date formats for tasks and milestones, it is often advisable to coordinate date formats in the project view (graph) with date formats in the Time Axes.
7) Accordingly, if you plan to include date formats in any task/milestone decoration in your project view, you need to edit the controls in each specific task/milestone decoration you are going to use.
8) The following sub-sections provide some useful examples.
Using Fiscal Years
9) The Use fiscal year checkbox, however, requires some further explanation. When this checkbox is checked ON, OnePager Express expresses years, quarters, month number of the year, week number of the year, and day number of the year relative to the start of the fiscal year.
10) As an example, suppose the source plan portion below has tasks spanning portions of two standard calendar years. The Microsoft Excel source plan looks like this:
11) Creating the project view produces this graph where the Time Axis is specified globally as a standard calendar year, Start dates are shown to the left of the tasks and their Finish dates are shown to the right of the tasks:
- a) The years shown for the last tasks in the illustration above have Start dates in 2018 and the last tasks Finish dates are in 2019.
- b) You now can use the Time Axis controls accessed through the PVP form’s Time Axis tab to access the Calendar sub-tab.
- c) In the Calendar sub-tab, validate, for example, that the First month of the fiscal year dropdown is set to the month of October and the Use starting year for FY numbering checkbox is unchecked or OFF.
- d) With this step completed, access the Top Level, Middle Level, and Bottom Level sub-tabs in the desired order and check each sub-tabs Use fiscal year checkbox to ON and select an appropriate Fiscal Year Label format as illustrated below for the Top Time Axis Level sub-tab:
- e) After resetting the Top Level, Middle Level, and Bottom Level sub-tab controls as described above and clicking the Apply button on the PVP form, the project view’s Time Axis looks like this:
- f) Since, for consistency, you want to have the task’s Start/Finish dates reflect the correct fiscal year designation to match the configuration of the Time Axis, there is a need to make a few more adjustments:
- i) First, go to the Task Bars tab of the PVP form and click the Date Label Properties button to access the Set date label properties form.
- ii) In the Set date label properties form, click the Show start date and Show finish date checkboxes to ON.
- iii) Then select the desired Start position and Finish position from the dropdown lists provided.
- iv) Next, check the Use fiscal year checkbox,.
- v) And, lastly, select the fiscal year Date format from the dropdown list as shown below:
12) With the above settings made for the tasks in the project view, the Date Labels previously added to the task’s Labels now look like this:
Using Fiscal Weeks
13) OnePager Express 6.1 is able to display the week number of each fiscal year, going sequentially from 1 to 52 (or 53 in some cases).
14) The Fiscal Weeks feature depends on your answer to three (3) questions in setting up the Time Axis:
- (1) On what day of the week does each week start (Sunday, Monday, etc.)?
- (2) Which month is the first month of the fiscal year?
- (3) Is the first week of the fiscal year the first full week, or is it the week that contains the first day of the fiscal year?
15) The following illustrations define weeks as beginning on Sundays and define the fiscal year as beginning in October.
16) These are the two cases of setting the answer to the third question above to make sure that the feature reflects your desires. The examples show how to answer the three questions via the PVP form Time Axis tab’s three Level sub-tabs and the Calendar sub-tab.
17) The illustration created below displays all three levels on the Time Axis. The Top Level shows Month and Fiscal Year. The Middle Level shows Week Number in Fiscal Year terms.. The Bottom Level shows Day of the Week.
- a) To achieve the desired result it is necessary to configure each of the three Time Axis Level controls in the Top Level, Middle Level, and Bottom Level as shown in the three illustrations below:
- i) The Top Level sub-tab is configured to show Months with a Label format that includes the month-year combination. The year is displayed as the end of the fiscal year.
- ii) The Middle Level sub-tab is configured to show the Fiscal Week Numbers with the Fiscal Week count starting at the beginning of the Fiscal Year.
- iii) The Bottom Level sub-tab is configured to display Days of the week using the day abbreviation for the display.
- b) We can anticipate that configuring the Bottom Time Axis Level in days could create so many Tic Units so as to crowd out the text. OnePager Pager Express 6.1 detects this condition and provides a warning message as shown below:
- c) Under such circumstances the recommended is to adjust the Timespan boundaries to present a more pleasing display as is done in the illustration below that incorporates the Time Axis Level settings presented above:
Defining the First Week in a Fiscal Year
18) OnePager has three (3) options for defining the first week of the fiscal year as described below. Where the first week of the fiscal year contains:
- (1) The first day of the fiscal year.
- (2) The first full week of the fiscal year.
- (3) The fourth (4th) day of the year in accordance with International Standards Organization (ISO) 8601.
19) The selection control for establishing which option you wish to use is located in the PVP form’s Time Axis tab in its Calendar sub-tab’s Calendar Settings control group as shown below:
20) The sub-sections below describe each of these options.
First Week of the Fiscal Year Contains the First Day of the Fiscal Year
21) The setting in the Calendar sub-tab above tells OnePager Express 6.1 to count fiscal year weeks from the week that contains the first day of each fiscal year. (The form below also shows how to establish Sunday as the first day of the week and October as the first month of the fiscal year.)
22) The result from using these settings is shown below. The first week of fiscal year 2019 begins on Sunday, September 30th of calendar year 2018 which is the week that contains the first day of fiscal year 2019 (Monday, October 1st of calendar year 2019).
First Week of the Fiscal Year is First Full Week of the Fiscal Year
23) The settings shown below in the Advanced tab tells OnePager to count fiscal year weeks from the first full week of each fiscal year.
24) Below is a project view with the Time Axis which correctly shows the first week of fiscal year 2019 beginning on Sunday, September 30th of calendar year 2018, which is the week that contains the first day of fiscal year 2019 (Monday, October 1st of calendar year 2018).
First Week of the Fiscal Year Contains the 4th day of the Fiscal Year (ISO 8601)
25) The settings shown below in the Calendar sub-tab tells OnePager Express 6.1 to count the fiscal year weeks from the first week that contains the 4th day of the year per ISO 8601:
26) The project view shown below displays the Time Axis where the first week of the fiscal year contains the 4th day of the week complying with ISO 8601: