Absorbing one task into another for Version 6.1
About Absorbing One Task Into Another
1) Task/milestone absorption is a handy way to compress information.
2) The idea is to absorb one short duration task or milestone into another task or milestone with a longer duration, leaving behind only a comment box (or perhaps two comment boxes) to indicate the presence of the absorbed (or shorter duration) task/milestone. To do this follow the steps below:
3) Drag the shorter duration task/milestone to be absorbed on top of the longer duration task/milestone that is to absorb it, as shown below.
1) In the example below, we are absorbing the Resistance calculation task into the Engineering Team 2 Development task.
- (1) If the absorbed task/milestone fits entirely inside the absorbing task/milestone (in time), the Absorption Options form appears asking if you want to replace the absorbed task name by one or two comment boxes and
- (2) At what date position (End or Start Date).
2) After making a choice and clicking OK, the absorbed task/milestone is hidden and is replaced by one or two comment boxes. The comment boxes mark its start time, its end time, or both depending on your previous selection.
3) If the task/milestone to be absorbed does not fit entirely inside the absorbing task/milestone, then it is not possible to carry out this absorption operation.
Absorbed Task's Comment Box
1) Comment boxes originating by absorption can be edited just like any other comment box. To edit these comment boxes, right-click on the comment box and click the Properties… command.
2) Any Task Links associated with the absorbed tasks are retained in the resulting absorbing task representation.
1) To un-absorb a task/milestone that was replaced by one or two comment boxes, right-click on the absorbing task/milestone and then click the Un-absorb tasks command as shown below:
2) This returns both the absorbed tasks/milestones and the absorbing task/milestone to the way they were before as shown here:
3) To complete the un-absorb process, drag the previously absorbed task back to its original position as shown below:
4) Task Links associated with the previously absorbed task are restored after the unabsorb process is completed.
Task Links and Absorbed Tasks
1) If tasks/milestones either being absorbed or are absorbing other tasks/milestones have either Data-Driven or manual Task Links it is important to be aware of how those Task Links appear after the Absorb processes is complete.
2) For more information on the subject of Task Links and Absorption please see the section on this subject at this link: Manual Editing of Task Links for OnePager Pro - Task Links for Absorbed Tasks.
1) Changing the text in the comment box for an absorbed task/milestone has the same effect as editing the Task-Name of the absorbed task/milestone.
2) If you accidentally delete the comment box containing the absorbed task/milestone and want to get it back, all you have to do is go to the Home tab, click the Show/Hide button, and then click the Show all Markers sub-command to unhide all the hidden tasks/milestones:
3) For reverting back (Unabsorbing), we recommend that you use the Undo function if it can be performed immediately after the absorb function is applied.